Sunday, February 22, 2015

Operation Crossroads

The safest place to be is always where God leads you, regardless of how dangerous it might seem.

In Numbers chapter 14, the people of Israel rebel against Moses. The entire encampment of exiles wants to go their own way and disregard the Lord. They want to stone Moses and find a new leader, but instead of backing down, Moses knew that he had to stand for the Lord and for what was right, even though it looked pretty grim. God had put Moses in a leadership position and Moses had to stay his ground. God delivered him from the people, and even gave him two other faithful servants who stood with him: Caleb and Joshua.


In the same way that God called Moses to stand for what was right, He calls us to find our strength and courage in Him when we come to a cross-roads in life. And there are cross-roads every day. Questions come up like "should I take the time to read the Bible this morning, or am I too tired?" "Should I intercede on that conversation at work about how people view church, or should I just not get involved and affiliate myself with something that could harm my reputation?" "Should I go somewhere that will be physically dangerous and taxing for the sake of spreading the Gospel?" These kinds of questions range in weight and change between people. I doubt I'll ever have to stand up in front of thousands of people who want to stone me and tell them that they should obey God, but I might encounter a different cross-roads where I will have to do the hard thing. So where does my courage come from, and will I be ready to do what it takes?

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. ~Joshua 1:9 (ESV)

Another thing that God calls us to do every day is to do good works. We are to look for ways to help others and the put our efforts into things that will glorify God. He has, in fact, set up these good works for us ahead of time, so He every day, He is "waiting to see" if we will do them. When we deny the chance to do a good work, we are disregarding God's command to be strong and courageous for Him.



For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. ~Ephesians 2:10 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment