Monday, June 15, 2015

Anti-Anxiety Disorder

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world. ~John 16:33 (ESV)


Not too many people are like this (and I have no intention of bragging here except on the name of Jesus), but I believe I have been gifted with something you might call anti-anxiety disorder. It means that I don't generally react to tragedies, sudden life-changes, financial crises, surprise trauma, etc., at least not the way most people would. I take it as it is. God's in control, right? Of course, the only reason I call it a disorder is because I'm in the minority (and of course I have my own ways of failing to trust God, if it looks a little different), but God offers everyone this selfsame disorder: His peace.

Nothing but encouragement can come to us as we dwell upon the faithful dealing of our Heavenly Father in centuries gone by. Faith in God has not saved people from hardships and trials, but it has enabled them to bear tribulations courageously and to emerge victoriously. ~Lee Roberson

Is it possible that living for Christ means more than giving your life (your career, your income, you successes and failures) to Him? What if the things life gives you only effects who you end up ministering to? If we are all called to bring God's kingdom to reality, then it shouldn't matter where we end up in life or where we are right now. God is in control, true, but that doesn't always mean he "orchestrated" things to happen in your life a certain way. Sometimes things just happen and God calls us to react rightly according to how Jesus would. If everything about us is to be an example to unbelievers, then there should be no surprise big enough in life that would allow us to break down and give up. Rather, let us stand strong and train ourselves to react to tragedies with love and peace, pointing to the greater cause and not focusing on our depression.

No comments:

Post a Comment