Friday, April 10, 2015

Contraversy-cloacked Compromise


Is it true of us that no matter what happens, we know Jesus is worth following and would be willing to deny ourselves anything in order to follow Him? Do we really love Him that much?

"Truth with self-denial is a better pennyworth, than error with all its flesh-pleasing." ~William Gurnall

A friend and I recently had a good conversation with someone who had left the church and his position as a worship leader because he had finally come out about his gay/homosexual tendencies. He came to the decision to toss the faith because he would rather not have to give up "himself." He seemed to think that following Jesus would mean he wouldn't be able to be himself and find his identity in society. Because he thought that way, he concluded that the Bible is a good "life book" to live by, but Jesus must not have actually been God and He was confused about a few things.

Regardless of the arguments we could go into about Jesus being God and how it relates, I believe our gay friend came to his conclusion only because he didn't want to have to deny himself, not because Jesus had changed in any way. This is part of the reason why so many churches are struggling with the "controversial" gay marriage topic: it's not actually any more controversial than any other sin discussed in the Bible, it's just an easier way to compromise our walk with Jesus by conforming to the world and our sinful desires. The focus shouldn't be on why we are born with certain "tendencies," but whether Jesus is worth following regardless of our tendencies.

 
"'God hasn't taken it from me yet.' May it never be heard coming from the mouth of a Christian. These are words of rebellion! We are called to lay down our lives and give all for Messiah. He never said He would wrestle from us, that which we refuse to relinquish."
 ~Dennis E. Green



I have had to question myself recently about whether or not I would be willing to do anything for Jesus. What if tomorrow I had a personality shift and was convinced that I was gay and would not find satisfaction in life without "finding the right person?" Would I still want to deny myself and follow Jesus? No. But would I be able to? My hope and prayer is that I would, and not only for myself, but for all those who are Christians and are caught up in the gay controversy that is so big today.

"The authentic Christian is characterized by devotion to truth and love as revealed by Christ, not mushy sentimentality swayed by today’s worldly trends. While Christ is often merciful even to those who have sinned, He never excuses sin or calls it less than what it is." ~Mission America

No comments:

Post a Comment